My little cutie, Sheza turned 2 today. So I made this red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting for her and garnished it with her favourite sprinkles and pink colour…
2 1/2 cups/ 250 gm all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 tbsp cocoa powder
2 tbsp red food colouring
1 cup/ 240 ml butter milk
1/2 cup/ 113 gm unsalted butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp white vinegar
1/2 tsp salt
For Cream Cheese Frosting:
1-8 ounce/ 227 gms cream cheese
1 cup powdered sugar (add more if needed)
1 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 175 degree C/ 350 degree F. Butter and flour two 8 inch round cake pans and keep it aside.
- Sift together all purpose flour and salt in a bowl.
- In a small bowl, mix red food colouring and cocoa powder to form a thin paste without lumps and keep it aside.
- In a large bowl, using a hand mixer or stand mixer beat the butter until soft (about 1-2 minutes).
- Add the sugar and beat until light and fluffy (about 2-3 minutes). Beat in eggs, one at a time, then beat in vanilla and red cocoa paste. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add one third of the flour mixture to the butter mixture, beat well, then beat in half of the butter milk.
- Beat in another third of flour mixture, then second half of butter milk. End with the remaining flour and beat well until combined.
- In a small cup, combine vinegar and baking soda and then quickly fold into the cake batter.
- Divide the batter evenly between the two prepared pans and place them in the preheated oven.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the toothpick inserted into the centre of the cakes comes out clean.
- Cool the cakes in their pans on a wire rack for 10 minutes. To remove the cakes, place a wire rack on top of the cake pan and invert, lifting off the pan. Allow cakes to cool completely before frosting. Then wrap in plastic and place in the refrigerator for at least an hour.
- To prepare cream cheese frosting, beat the cream cheese at room temperature until smooth. Add the powdered sugar and vanilla and beat until smooth.
- Add the whipping cream and whip until the frosting is thick enough to spread.
- To assemble, place one cake layer on a cake stand or a serving plate and spread with a layer of frosting.
- Place the second cake layer on top of it and frost the top and sides of the cake. Garnish with sprinkles or as per your wish….
Recipe Source: Joy of Baking and Pinch My Salt