1 cup cherupayar/ green gram
2 1/2 cup basmati rice
2 onion, thinly sliced
1 1/2 tbsp ginger paste
1 1/2 tbsp garlic paste
8 green chillies, slit or paste
1 tomato, thinly sliced
2 tsp kasuri methi
2 piece cinnamon
1 tsp caraway seeds/ sajeerakam
2 bay leaves
3 tbsp yoghurt, sourless
3/4 tsp turmeric powder
3/4-1 cup coriander leaves
1/2-1 cup mint leaves
6 cup boiling water
few cashew nuts
- Soak green gram in 4-5 cups of hot water for about 4-5 hours. Drain it and keep it aside.
- Wash and soak basmati rice in water for 15 minutes. Drain it and keep it aside.
- Heat a thick pan and add ghee (or oil). Add bay leaves, cloves, cardamom, cinnamon, caraway seeds and saute well.
- Add sliced onions, green chillies and salt and saute well till transparent.
- Add garlic paste and ginger paste and saute till raw smell disappears.
- Add turmeric powder and kasuri methi and mix well.
- Then add the yoghurt and stir well.
- Add thinly sliced tomato and saute till soft. Add coriander leaves and mint leaves and mix well.
- Add drained rice and mix well for 2 minutes. Add drained green gram/ cherupayar and mix well.
- Add boiling water and salt, cover it and allow to boil. Then reduce the heat and cook in low flame till done.
- Garnish with fried onions and cashew nuts and serve hot………..