1/2 kg mathi/ sardines, cleaned
1 cup shallots, crushed
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 ” ginger, chopped
3 green chillies, chopped
2- 2 1/2 tbsp kashmiri chilli powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1 1/2- 2 tbsp thick tamarind paste
1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds
few curry leaves
- Cut and clean sardines and marinate it with 1 tbsp kashmiri chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt and keep it aside for 15-20 minutes.
- Heat little oil in a manchatti/ pan and add fenugreek seeds and curry leaves.
- Add crushed shallots and saute well for 2- 3 minutes.
- Add chopped ginger, garlic and green chillies and saute for few minutes.
- Then add 1- 1 1/2 tbsp kashmiri chilli powder, tamarind paste, salt and 1 cup water and bring it to a boil.
- When it boils, add the marinated sardines/ mathi , mix well and cook covered till the gravy thickens on low-medium flame.
- Add little oil and curry leaves on top and remove from flame….Serve with rice or kappa vevichathu...
- Got this recipe from Facebook group and I prepared with slight modifications…