” Malli ” means coriander in malayalam. In this mutton curry, coriander powder and coriander leaves are used as main ingredients…
1/2 kg mutton, cut into pieces
3 onions, chopped
1 large tomato/ 3 small tomatoes, chopped
1 tsp ginger, finely chopped
1 tsp garlic, finely chopped
5-6 green chillies, slit
2 tbsp coriander powder
1 tsp turmeric powder
3 small piece cinnamon
5 pepper corns
1 cup thick coconut milk
1/4 cup coriander leaves, finely chopped
a pinch of garam masala
salt to taste
3 tbsp oil
- Cut and clean mutton into pieces.
- Make a paste of coriander powder and turmeric powder together and add to the cleaned mutton and marinate / mix well adding enough salt.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker and add chopped onions and saute well till transparent.
- Add cardamoms, cinnamons, cloves and pepper corns and saute well for a minute.
- Add slit green chillies, chopped ginger and garlic and saute well.
- Add chopped tomatoes and saute well till soft.
- Then add marinated mutton and enough water, mix well and cook covered for about 8-9 whistle till the mutton is cooked well.
- Add thick coconut milk and a pinch of garam masala to the cooked mutton and mix well.
- Add chopped coriander leaves and cook for few minutes. When it starts to boil, remove from the flame….Serve hot…
Recipe adapted from Malabar Vibhavangal