2 cups plain flour
1 tbsp cornflour
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup/ 225 gm butter, at room temperature
3/4 cup confectioners/ icing sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
food colors ( I used red, blue and green)
- In a bowl, whisk the plain flour with corn flour and salt and keep it aside.
- In another bowl, beat the butter until smooth. Add the sugar and vanilla essence and beat until smooth and creamy for about 2 minutes.
- Add the flour mixture and beat just until the dough starts to come together.
- Divide the dough in half.( Here I divided the dough into three equal portion).
- Add food colour as needed in each portion and knead the dough well.Then wrap each in plastic wrap and chill for about 1 hour until firm.
- Once the dough is firm, remove one color dough at a time and place it between two sheets of parchment paper and roll the dough until it is about 1/8 inch thick.
- Then place the dough along with the parchment paper on a baking sheet and keep in the refrigerator for about 20-30 minutes or until firm, Repeat the same process with other color doughs.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degree celcius. Line the baking sheet with baking paper/ parchment paper.
- Remove one sheet of dough from the refrigerator and using a 2 inch (5 cm) round cookie cutter, cut out rounds.
10. Place the rounds on the prepared baking sheet and using a 1 3/4 inch (4 cm) cookie cutter, lightly press the top of each cookie making a slight indentation.
11. Then with a straw or 3 mm pastry tip , cut out 2 or 4 “button” holes in the centre of each cookie. Repeat the same process with the other sheets of dough.
12. Bake the cookies for about 10-12 minutes. Cool the cookies on the tray for 3-4 minutes and then gently transfer to a wire rack.
13. Store the cooled cookies in an air tight containers..
Recipe Source: Joy of Baking
Cute looking cookies!