2 cups drumstick leaves/ muringayila
2 cups basmati rice
4 cups of water
2 onions, chopped
2 green chillies, chopped
2 tsp ginger-garlic paste
2 medium tomatoes, chopped
1 sprig curry leaves
1/2 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp garam masala
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 tsp cumin powder
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
salt to taste
2 tbsp oil
- Wash and soak the rice in water for 15-20 minutes. Drain the water and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and splutter cumin seeds.
- Add chopped onions, green chillies and curry leaves and saute till the onions become transparent.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and saute till the raw smell disappears.
- Add chopped tomatoes and cook on medium flame for 2-3 minutes.
- Then add turmeric powder, coriander powder, garam masala and cumin powder and mix well.
- Add the cleaned drumstick leaves and mix well.
- Then add the drained rice , 4 cups of water and salt and mix well.
- Close with a tight lid and cook on low-medium flame until rice is cooked and all the water is absorbed.
- Remove from the flame and serve hot with any curry of your choice…
- You can also cook in a pressure cooker for 2 whistles. Open the pressure cooker when the pressure releases and then fluff it up with a fork and serve..