30-40 mussels / kallummakkaya, cleaned
3 cups kaima rice / jeerakashala rice
3 onions, sliced
2 green chillies, slit
3/4 tsp turmeric powder
1 1/2 tsp fennel powder
3 tsp coriander powder
1 1/2 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp crushed pepper
salt to taste
- Wash the kaima rice and drain it. Keep it aside.
- In a bowl, add chilli powder, 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, crushed pepper and salt, mix well and make a paste adding little water.
- Marinate the cleaned mussels in this paste for 10-15 minutes and then shallow fry using 3-4 tbsp oil till golden brown and keep it aside.
- Heat 4-5 tbsp oil in a thick bottomed pan and add sliced onions and saute well adding little salt.
- Add slit green chillies and saute well.
- Then add 7 cups of water , 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, coriander powder and 1 tsp fennel powder and mix well. Cover with a lid and bring it to a boil.
- Add drained rice to this, mix well and cook covered.
- When it starts to boil, add salt and reduce the flame and cook covered on low flame.
- When the rice is 3/4 th cooked, add fried mussels and mix well with the rice.
- Then cover and cook on low flame till it is done and water dries up. Add 1/4 tsp fennel powder and mix well.
- Remove from the flame and serve hot…