2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
170 gm / 1 1/2 stick butter, at room temperature
3/4 cup icing sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
red and green food color
1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- Sift together all purpose flour and baking powder in a bowl and keep it aside.
- In a bowl, cream butter and icing sugar till they are well combined.
- Add sifted flour and vanilla essence to this and mix them to form a smooth dough.
- Take a cup of the dough and tint them with red food color. Roll this red tinted dough into a log/ cylinder and cover with cling wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
5. Divide the rest of the dough into 2 parts and tint one part of the dough with green color. Wrap the green dough and the white/ plain dough with cling wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
6. On a lightly floured surface, roll the white dough into 7 inch rectangle. Unwrap and place the red dough log in one corner and roll the white dough over the red log.
7. Then roll the green dough the same way into rectangle shape and place the red/white log in one corner and roll the log.
8. Cover this log with cling wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours.
9. Preheat the oven to 180 degree celcius. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper/ baking paper.
10. Unwrap the dough and cut them into 1/4 inch thick slices and again cut them to half to form a semi circle slice.
11. Lightly press the mini chocolate chips in the red part of each slice to resemble watermelon seeds.
12. Place the prepared watermelon cookie on the lined baking sheet and bake for 9-10 minutes or until the cookies are firm but not brown.
13. Remove from the oven and let them cool down for 2-3 minutes. Then transfer them to a wire rack and let them cool completely…
Recipe adapted from here