1/2 kg fish ( thick fleshed fish like king fish/ pomfret etc)
1 cup grated coconut
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1 tbsp kashmiri chilli powder
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 cup curd/ yoghurt/ Thairu
1-2 green chillies
1 1/2 tbsp ginger, sliced
salt to taste
few curry leaves
1 tbsp coconut oil
- Cut the fish into pieces, clean it and keep it aside.
- Grind together grated coconut, turmeric powder, chilli powder, cumin seeds and curd to a smooth paste adding 1/2 cup of water.
- In a pan, add the ground coconut paste, 1/2 cup water, sliced green chillies, ginger, salt and curry leaves and mix well.
- Add more water if required and mix well. Then switch on the flame and bring it to a boil.
- Add cleaned fish pieces to this and swirl the pan to mix everything well.
- When it starts to boil, reduce the flame to medium and cook covered till the gravy thickens and the fish is cooked.
- Remove the lid and then cook on low flame for 2-3 minutes. Add coconut oil and few curry leaves and switch off the flame. Serve with rice, pathiri etc…
Recipe Source: Magic Oven
I am always up for a good curry! This looks so good!
I have never made fish in curd gravy…this sounds interesting…will try it next time
I have made fish with curd instead of tamarind pulp but did not use coconut then.. this sounds fun 🙂