1/2 kg chicken, cut into pieces
2 cups basmati rice/ kaima rice
3 big onions, sliced
2 tomatoes, chopped
2 tsp ginger paste
1 tbsp garlic paste
5 green chillies, crushed
1- 1 1/2 tsp coriander powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp garam masala
lemon juice of 1 lemon
1/2 cup coriander leaves
1/4 cup mint leaves
3-4 tbsp ghee
3 cups of boiling water
salt to taste
- Wash the rice, drain it and keep it aside.
- Heat ghee in a pressure cooker and add sliced onions and saute well till transparent.
- Add ginger paste, garlic paste and crushed green chillies and saute well.
- Add chopped tomatoes and saute well till soft.
- Add coriander leaves, mint leaves, garam masala, coriander powder, turmeric powder, lemon juice and salt and mix well.
- Then add cleaned chicken and mix well for 2 minutes.
- Add drained rice, hot water, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves and salt and mix well.
- Close the pressure cooker with its lid and cook for 1 whistle, switch off and allow the pressure to go by itself.
- Open the lid and gently fluff the biriyani using a fork and transfer to a serving bowl… Serve with raita, pickle and pappadum…