200 gm kovakka/ivygourd
1/4 cup grated coconut
1 onion, finely chopped
1 tomatoes, chopped
1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
2 tbsp cashew nuts
1 tbsp coriander powder
1 tsp chilli powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
2 tbsp coriander leaves
1 tsp mustard seeds
salt to taste
2-3 tsp oil
- Wash and chop the kovakka lengthwise and keep it aside.
- Heat a pan and dry roast the grated coconut till it turns golden brown colour and keep it aside.
- In the same pan, roast the cashew nuts and then grind it with roasted coconut to a smooth paste adding little water.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker and splutter mustard seeds and add curry leaves.
- Add chopped onion and saute well till it turns transparent.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and chopped tomatoes and saute well.
- Add coriander powder, chilli powder, turmeric powder and 1/2 cup of water and saute well till the tomatoes turn mushy.
- Add the chopped kovakka and about 1 1/2 cups of water into this and mix well.
- Then add the ground coconut paste and salt and mix well. Close the cooker and cook for 3 whistles on medium flame.
- Once the pressure releases, open the cooker and add chopped coriander leaves and mix well. Serve hot with rice, chapati etc..