225 gm all purpose flour
100 gm butter
100 gm icng sugar
1 tbsp curd/ sour cream
1 egg yolk
1 tsp vanilla essence
1/2 tsp salt
- In a bowl, sift together flour and salt and keep it aside.
- In a large bowl or in the bowl of electric mixer, add butter and icing sugar and beat on medium high speed until creamy.
- Add the egg yolk and beat again until the yolk combines well.
- Add the curd/ sour cream and vanilla essence and beat again until combined.
- Add the flour mixture and beat on low speed until flour has been incorporated. Do not over beat.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degree celcius. Line a baking sheet with baking paper/ parchment paper.
- Divide the dough into 2 parts and further divide one of the part into 4 equal sized portions.
- Add drops of different shades of food gels/ colorings into each of the 4 equal portions and knead the dough well.
- Roll the uncolored portion of the dough into a rectangle of 2 mm thickness on a lightly floured surface. (or roll it placing between two sheets of parchment paper).
10. Take small piece of dough out of each colored dough and roll each separately on a lightly floured surface into 4-5 inches long rope/ strip and diameter of about 0.5 cm.
11. Place each colored rope in one corner of the uncolored rolled rectangle and carefully turn it over to cover the colored rope completely and cut it exactly where it just covers as shown in below..
12. Roll up carefully and smooth it out using your fingers and seal the edges that are open. Repeat the same with the remaining colored ropes and rectangle dough.
13. Place them carefully on the prepared baking sheet and bake in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes.
14. Cool for 5 minutes on baking sheet and then transfer to cooling racks to cool completely.
15. Once completely cool, use a knife to gently “sharpen” the cookies to make them look like colored pencils..Enjoy !
Recipe adapted from here..