1 big ridge gourd/ peechinga/ tharavirikka
1 cup gram flour
1/4 cup rice flour
1 1/2 tsp chilli powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
a pinch of baking soda
1/4 tsp ajwain seeds (optional)
a pinch of asafoetida
salt to taste
oil for frying
- Wash and peel the hard ridges of the ridge gourd. Then slice it into medium thick circular discs.
2. In a large mixing bowl, add the gram flour, rice flour, chilli powder, turmeric powder, ajwain seeds, salt, asafoetida and baking soda and mix well.
3. Add required water little by little to this and make a smooth and semi thick batter.
4. Heat oil in a pan on medium flame. Dip the ridge gourd slices in the batter until well coated and carefully drop it in the oil.
5. Fry them in batches until it turns golden colour on both the sides.
6. Remove from the oil and drain them on a paper towel….Serve with tea or coffee….
wow.. never thought of this bhajji… looks good