1 cup kaima rice/ jeerakasala rice
200-300 gms / 3 blocks of light brown jaggery
1/4 cup cooked rice
1/4 tsp cumin seeds
salt to taste
a pinch of baking soda
2 tbsp coconut slices/ thenga kothu
1 tbsp shallots, sliced
2-3 tbsp oil
- Soak the rice in water for 2 hours.
- In a pan, melt the jaggery on low flame adding 1 cup of water, strain it and keep it aside.
- Grind the drained rice with melted jaggery, cooked rice, cardamom, cumin seeds and salt to a smooth batter.
- Transfer to a bowl and add a pinch of baking soda and mix well.
- Heat a pressure cooker and add oil and saute the coconut slices till it become light brown. Then add the sliced shallots and saute till golden brown.
- Then pour the prepared rice-jaggery batter to the cooker and close the cooker tightly without placing the weight/ whistle and cook for 1 1/2-2 minutes on high flame.
- Now reduce the flame and cook for 15 minutes on low flame.
- After 15 minutes, check if its cooked by inserting a toothpick. If it comes out clean, its done..Else cook for 5 more minutes and then remove from flame and let cool.
- When cool, gently remove the kalathappam from the cooker and cut into pieces and serve..