3/4 cup toor dal / thuvaraparippu
1/4 cup cherupayar parippu / split moong dal
1 medium onion, chopped
1 small tomato, chopped
1 big piece ginger, chopped
5-6 big garlic cloves, chopped
2-3 green chillies, slit
1 sprig curry leaves
1 1/2 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp cumin seeds
2 dry red chillies
1 tsp mustard seeds
salt to taste
- Wash the dals and pressure cook it with 3-4 cups of water for 1 whistle. Then cook it on medium flame for 10 minutes until it becomes soft. Mash slightly with the back of a spoon and keep it aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds and dry red chillies.
- Add cumin seeds, chopped onion, chopped ginger, garlic, green chillies and curry leaves and saute well.
- Reduce the flame and add turmeric powder and mix well.
- Add chilli powder to this and mix well. Add the chopped tomato and saute well till soft.
- Then add the cooked dal along with its water and salt and boil well on medium flame.
- Adjust the consistency of the curry by adding hot water. Switch off the flame and serve hot…