2 green chillies
1 cup grated coconut
10-12 black peppercorns
1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds
5 dry red chillies
1 tbsp coriander powder ( or 2 tbsp coriander seeds)
1/4-1/2 tsp kashmiri chilli powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
small lemon sized tamarind
water as required
1 sprig curry leaves
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
salt to taste
- Wash and cut kovakka into small rounds. Soak tamarind in 1/4 cup of water,extract its juice and keep it aside.
- Heat a pan and dry roast grated coconut, peppercorns, fenugreek seeds and 3 dry red chillies till it becomes golden brown.
- Then reduce the flame and add kashmiri chilli powder, coriander powder and turmeric powder and mix well.
- Switch off the flame and allow it to cool. Then grind it to a smooth paste adding little water and keep it aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a thick bottomed pan and add chopped kovakka, shallots and green chillies and saute for 5-8 minutes on medium flame until the shallots turn light brown.
- Add ground coconut paste and tamarind extract and mix well.
- Add 1 1/2 cup of water and salt to this, mix well and cook it covered on low- medium flame for 10-12 minutes until the kovakka becomes soft and the gravy thickens.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in another small pan and splutter mustard seeds. Add 2 dry red chillies and curry leaves and fry and pour this seasoning over the theeyal and mix well. Serve hot with rice…