1 raw plantain/ kaya, peeled and cubed
1/2- 3/4 cup yam/ chena, peeled and cubed
1/2 cup brown chickpeas /kadala, cooked
1/2 tsp kashmiri chilli powder
1/2 cup grated coconut, for grinding
1/4-1/2 cup grated coconut, for roasting
1 garlic clove
2 green chillies
1/2 tsp cumin powder
1/4-1/2 tsp pepper powder
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
2 dry red chillies
few curry leaves
salt to taste
- Soak brown chickpeas overnight or at least 7 hours and pressure cook it adding enough water and salt for around 5 whistles or until soft. Drain the water and keep it aside.
- In a pan, dry roast grated coconut over medium flame until it turns brown, stirring continuously and keep it aside.
- Grind together 1/2 cup grated coconut with garlic, green chillies, cumin powder and black pepper powder to a coarse paste and keep it aside.
- In a pan, add the cubed raw plantain, yam, chilli powder and turmeric powder and cook adding enough water until they are done and the water almost evaporates completely.
- Add cooked chickpeas , ground coconut paste and salt, mix well and cook for 2 minutes.
- Then add the roasted coconut, mix well and cook for 1 minute at low flame. Switch off.
- Heat oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds. Add dry red chillies and curry leaves and fry for few seconds.
- Pour this over the prepared kootu curry and keep covered for 10 minutes.
- Open the lid and mix well. Serve hot with rice..