2 cups rice flour
2 cups water
1 tsp oil
1 cup grated coconut or as required
salt to taste
extra rice flour, to sprinkle on the rice balls
- In a sauce pan, boil water adding oil and salt. When the water boils, add the rice flour and mix well with a wooden spoon. Switch off the flame and cover it with a lid for 3-4 minutes.
- When the dough is still warm, knead it well to a soft and smooth dough.
- Apply some oil to your hands and make small balls out of the dough. Sprinkle some rice flour on the balls to prevent them from sticking together.
- To prepare the mani puttu, take a puttu maker and place the disc and layer it with 1 tbsp grated coconut first, then add 5-6 tbsp of rice balls.
- Again add the grated coconut and repeat the steps till the puttu maker is filled and finish off with the grated coconut on the top..Cover it with the lid.
- Fill pressure cooker/ puttu kudam with 2-3 cups of water and bring to a boil.
- Place the puttu maker on top of it and steam cook for 7-8 minutes or until the steam starts coming out from the top of puttu maker.
- Remove the puttu maker, open the lid and gently push the mani puttu to a plate using a wooden ladle/ stick that comes along with the puttu maker….. Serve hot….
- Here I used Chiratta puttu maker….Layer it with 1 tbsp grated coconut first, then add 5-6 tbsp of rice balls. Top it with another layer of grated coconut and then steam cook till done..