1 cup basmati / raw rice
2 green tomatoes/ pacha thakkali, chopped
2 green chillies, chopped
1/2 tsp ginger, finely chopped
1 sprig curry leaves
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1 pinch cumin seeds
2 tsp urad dal
1 tbsp roasted chana dal / pottukadala
3 tbsp peanuts
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
2 dry red chillies
lemon sized tamarind
salt to taste
2 tbsp oil
- Cook rice adding enough salt and keep it aside to cool completely.
- Soak tamarind in 1/2 cup of hot water for 10-15 minutes. Squeeze and strain the juice and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
- Add urad dal, chana dal, peanuts, dry red chillies and curry leaves and fry for a minute.
- Add asafoetida, ginger, green chillies, chopped green tomatoes and turmeric powder and saute well.
- Add tamarind juice and little salt and cook covered for few minutes.
- Add cooked rice to this and mix well gently and switch off the flame…Serve with pickles/ raita / yogurt etc..