300 gm fish
2 + 3 slit green chillies
small piece + 1 tsp ginger
5 + 5 garlic cloves
3-4 mint leaves
1/4 cup coriander leaves
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
2 1/2 tsp coriander powder
3/4 tsp pepper powder
2 small onions, sliced
small piece cinnamon
1/4 tsp fennel powder
1/2 tomato, sliced
3/4 cup semi thick coconut milk (2nd extract)
1/4 cup grated coconut
1 tbsp cashew nuts
1/2 cup thick coconut milk (1st extract)
1 sprig curry leaves
1/2 tsp lemon juice
salt to taste
1 tbsp coconut oil
- Cut the fish into pieces , clean it and keep it aside.
- Soak cashew nuts in 1 1/2 tbsp hot water and keep it aside.
- In a mixie jar, add 2 green chillies, shallots, small piece ginger, 5 garlic cloves, mint leaves, coriander leaves, turmeric powder, coriander powder and pepper powder and grind together adding little water to a paste and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and add fenugreek seeds.
- Add 3 slit green chillies, sliced 5 garlic cloves , 1 tsp ginger and onions and saute well adding little salt till soft and light brown.
- Add cinnamon, cloves and cardamom and mix well.
- Add ground masala and mix well. Add little water and rinse well the leftover masala in the jar and add this and saute well till the raw smell leaves.
- Add fennel powder and mix well.
- Add semi thick coconut milk (2nd extract) and mix well. Adjust the salt and once it boils well, add slices of tomato and cleaned fish pieces.
- Mix gently and allow it to boil. Then reduce the flame and cook covered on low flame for 8 minutes.
- In the meantime, grind grated coconut and cashew nuts together to a fine paste adding little water.
- Add thick coconut milk and few curry leaves to this paste and mix well.
- Pour this coconut mix to the curry, mix well and heat for few minutes. No need to boil.
- Switch off the flame and add lemon juice and mix. Serve hot..
Recipe Source: Mahima’s Cooking Class (YouTube)