1 cup white chickpeas / chana
2 big potatoes
2 onions, sliced
1 tbsp ginger, finely chopped
2 green chillies, slit
2 tomatoes, chopped
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp kashmiri chilli powder
1 tsp coriander powder
3 cups coconut milk
1/2 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp pepper powder
1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 sprig curry leaves
3 dry red chillies
salt to taste
2 tbsp coriander leaves, chopped
2 tbsp coconut oil
- Soak the chickpeas in water for 8 hours and pressure cook it adding enough water and salt and keep it aside.
- Peel the potatoes and chop them into cubes and pressure cook adding 1 cup water for 2 whistles. Keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and add fenugreek seeds, cumin seeds, mustard seeds, dry red chillies and curry leaves.
- Add chopped ginger and green chillies and saute well.
- Add chopped onions and saute well adding little salt.
- Add turmeric powder and mix well. Add kashmiri chilli powder and coriander powder and mix well for a minute.
- Add chopped tomatoes and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add cooked chickpeas along with its stock and mix well.
- Then add cooked potato and mix well. Adjust the salt, mix well and boil for 4-5 minutes.
- Add coconut milk to this and boil well for 10 minutes at medium flame.
- Add garam masala and pepper powder and mix well. Adjust the salt and cook for 3-4 minutes till it thickens.
- Switch off the flame and add coriander leaves. Serve with chapati, appam, puttu etc..