1/2 cup raw white rice / idli rice
2 tbsp urad dal
red / orange food colour
a pinch of salt
a big pinch of baking soda
For the sugar syrup:
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
few drops of lemon juice
oil, for frying
powdered sugar, for coating
- Wash and soak rice and urad dal in water for 4 hours.
- Then grind to a smooth paste adding very little water and transfer to a bowl.
- Add food colour to the batter and mix well. Add salt and baking soda and mix well.
- To prepare the sugar syrup, combine sugar and water in a wide pan and heat until the sugar dissolves and then bring to a boil.
- Add few drops of lemon juice and mix well. Keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan. Dip your hand in water and take little batter using your hand and drop it slowly into the hot oil and fry on low-medium flame in batches until crispy.
- Remove from the flame and add into the warm sugar syrup (warm the syrup before adding the fried candies) and mix using a spoon.
- Let it soak for 20-30 minutes or as needed. Once soaked, take out from the syrup and coat with powdered sugar.
- Store in an airtight container..