6 hardboiled eggs
2 cup sella basmati rice
3/4 tsp kashmiri chilli powder
1/4-1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp pepper powder
1/4 tsp + 2 1/2 tsp kabsa masala / arabic masala
1 bay leaf
2 piece cinnamon sticks
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp pepper corns
1 chicken stock cube
1 dried lemon
1 large onion, sliced
3 whole green chillies
3/4 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
salt to taste
oil, as required
- Wash and soak rice in water for 30 minutes.
- In a bowl, add kashmiri chilli powder, 2 pinch of turmeric powder, 1/2 tsp pepper powder, 1/4 tsp kabsa masala and salt and mix well.
- Add 1 tsp oil and 2-3 tsp of water to this and mix well. Add boiled eggs and mix well.
- Grind the chopped tomatoes into paste and keep it aside.
- Heat a large pan with enough water adding 2 cardamoms, 2 cloves, 1 cinnamon piece, lemon juice, 1 tbsp oil and salt.
- When it boils, add drained rice and cook till 90% done. Then drain the water from rice and keep it aside.
- Heat 3-4 tbsp oil in a large pan and 2 cardamoms, 2 cloves, 1 bay leaf , 1 cinnamon piece, 1/4 tsp cumin seeds and 1 tsp pepper corns.
- Add sliced onions and green chillies and saute well.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and saute well.
- Add ground tomato paste, mix well and cook for 2-3 minutes till raw smell goes.
- Add 2 1/2 tsp kabsa masala, chicken stock cube, 1/4 tsp turmeric powder and dried lemon and mix well.
- Add marinated boiled eggs and enough salt and mix well and boil it for 5 minutes.
- Then add cooked rice and yellow food colour/ turmeric powder mixed with little milk (optional) on top.
- To get smoky flavour to the rice, place a small steel bowl inside the rice.
- Heat a piece of charcoal on direct flame until it is nicely hot, this will take a few minutes. Once the charcoal is hot, place it in the bowl that is in the rice and pour a tsp of oil on top.
- Cover the pan immediately with a tight lid and keep it in low flame for 10 minutes. Then open the lid and mix gently.
- Serve with salata hara, salad etc…