1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup boiling water
1 cup plain flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla essence / butterscotch essence
100 gm butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup sugar, powdered
1/4 cup condensed milk
For Caramel Sauce:
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
100 gm butter
1 cup fresh cream
a pinch of salt
- In a pan, add 1/2 cup sugar and heat at medium flame till the sugar melts and colour changes to golden.
- Then reduce the flame to low and add 1/2 cup boiling water and mix well till it melts. Keep this caramel mix aside to cool to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 180 degree celcius. Grease a baking pan with butter / baking spray or line with baking paper.
- Sift together plain flour, baking soda and baking powder and keep it aside.
- Add eggs and vanilla / butterscotch essence in a bowl and beat well till fluffy using electric mixer and keep it aside.
- In a large bowl, add 100 gm butter and 1/2 cup sugar and beat well until creamy.
- Add condensed milk into this and beat until well combined.
- Add beaten egg and beat well until mixed.
- Add flour mixture and mix using whisk and then beat once using electric mixer.
- Now cooled caramel mix and mix well using whisk.
- Transfer the batter into the prepared baking pan, tap well and bake for 40-50 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Leave the cake in pan for 10 minutes, and then place on a wire rack to cool completely…
Preparation of Caramel Sauce:
- In a saucepan, add 1 cup sugar and 1/2 cup water and heat on medium flame till it dissolves and will start to bubble up and slowly changes colour.
- Once it reaches desired golden colour, add 100 gm butter and whisk well until it melts.
- Then add fresh cream at low flame and whisk constantly until incorporated and smooth. Switch off the flame and add a pinch of salt and mix well. Keep it aside to cool.
- Level the top of the cooled cake using a knife and then place on a cake board.
- Pour the prepared caramel sauce over the top of cake, letting it drip down the edges.
- Make numbers and arrows using white fondant and stick these on the cake for clock design…