5 crabs, cut into pieces
1 1/2 cup grated coconut
1 tbsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp garam masala
1 tbsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 large tomato, chopped
2 slit green chillies
1″ piece ginger, finely chopped
tamarind (half lemon size)
3 sprigs curry leaves
1 tbsp coriander leaves
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
4 shallots, chopped
2 garlic cloves
1 sprig curry leaves
- Clean and cut crabs into pieces. Soak tamarind in 1/2 cup water and keep it aside.
- Heat a pan, add grated coconut along with shallots and curry leaves and dry roast till brown. Switch off and add coriander powder and garam masala and mix well. Grind it to a fine paste adding little water and keep it aside.
- In a clay pot or pan, add tomato, green chillies, ginger chopped, chilly powder, turmeric powder and tamarind extract or water.
- Add cleaned crab pieces and salt, mix well and cook on medium flame for about 6-8 minutes.
- Add ground coconut mixture and 1 1/2 cup water and mix well. Check salt and allow it to boil.
- Cook it for about 5 minutes on medium flame or till the gravy thickens. Remove from flame.
- Heat oil in a pan, splutter mustard seeds. Add chopped shallots ,garlic and curry leaves, stir well and add this seasoning to the curry. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot….
Recipe Source: Grihalakshmi