1 big pavakka/ kaipakka/ bitter gourd
2 green chillies, finely chopped
4-5 shallots, chopped
1 tomato, sliced
2 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
tamarind- size of a lemon
2 sprigs curry leaves
1 tsp mustard seeds
1- 1 1/2 tbsp oil
- Wash and cut bitter gourd into thin round slices. Soak tamarind in little water, extract its juice and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, add chopped shallots, green chillies and bitter gourd and saute for few minutes till bitter gourd turns light brown.
- Add tomato sliced, chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt and cook by adding 1 cup water.
- When it is half cooked, add tamarind extract and mix well. Cook till done and remove from fire.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan, splutter mustard seeds and add curry leaves. Pour this over the curry and serve hot with rice….