1/2 kg mutton
3 cups basmati rice
5 cups of water
5-6 medium onions, sliced
3 medium tomato, chopped
6-8 green chillies
8 garlic cloves
2 ” piece ginger
1/2 cup coriander leaves
1/4 cup mint leaves
2-3 tbsp coriander powder
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp garam masala + extra for sprinkling during layering
3 tbsp yoghurt
4 small piece of cinnamon sticks
1 bay leaf
2-3 tbsp ghee
Few cashewnuts and raisins for garnishing
For Preparing Mutton Masala:
- Cut mutton into pieces , wash well and drain. Keep it aside.
- Crush garlic, ginger and green chillies together.
- Heat oil in a large pan or pressure cooker, add 5 chopped onions and salt and saute till transparent.
- Add crushed ginger-garlic and green chillies paste and saute well.
- Add chopped tomatoes and saute till soft. Add chopped mint leaves and coriander leaves and mix well.
- Add cleaned mutton pieces, coriander powder and turmeric powder , mix well and cook the mutton until done. Add garam masala and cook for few minutes.
- Add yoghurt and stir well.Switch off the flame and close the lid..
- Wash and drain the rice. Boil the water and keep it aside.
- Heat ghee in a thick bottomed pan, add cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, bay leaf and 1 sliced onion and saute till transparent.
- Add drained rice and saute for 4-5 minutes in a medium flame. Add boiled water and salt, cover and cook till rice is done.
- Divide the rice into three parts and mutton masala into two parts.
- Take a large thick bottomed pan and rub with little ghee. Layer the bottom of the pan with a layer of rice.
- Sprinkle little garam masala over the rice and add half of the prepared mutton masala.
- Then add the second layer of rice and sprinkle little garam masala all over the rice.
- Add the remaining mutton masala and then add remaining part of rice as a top layer and sprinkle few drops of saffron milk (a pinch of saffron with 2 tsp milk) or biriyani colour.
- Then sprinkle little garam masala and chopped coriander leaves. Close with a tight lid and cook on low heat for 15-20 minutes.
- Garnish with fried onions, cashew nuts and raisins….Serve hot….