1 cup puttu flour (puttu podi)
1 cup drumstick leaves/ muringayila, cleaned
water, as required
1 cup grated coconut
6 shallots, finely chopped
2-3 green chillies, finely chopped
1 tsp kashmiri chilli powder
2 garlic cloves
1/2 tsp fennel seeds
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
few curry leaves
2 tsp oil
- Mix little salt in water and add this water little by little to the puttupodi till it becomes wet/ moist and mix thoroughly without any lumps.
- Then add 1/2 cup muringayila / drumstick leaves to this puttu podi and mix well with your finger tips. Keep it aside for 15 minutes.
- Crush grated coconut, fennel seeds, chilli powder and garlic together and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds.
- Add few curry leaves, chopped shallots and green chillies and saute well.
- Add remaining 1/2 cup muringayila and salt and saute for 2 minutes.
- Then add the crushed coconut mixture and saute for another 2-3 minutes and remove from flame.
- To prepare puttu, take a puttu maker and layer it with 2 tbsp muringayila-coconut mixture first, then the puttupodi and then again the muringayila-coconut mixture. Repeat the process, till the puttu maker is filled.
- Fill pressure cooker/ puttu kudam with 2-3 cups of water and bring to a boil.
- Place the puttu maker on top of it and steam cook for 5-7 minutes or until the steam starts coming out from the top of puttu maker.
- Remove it to a plate and serve hot….