1/2 kg beef, cut into pieces
3/4 kg kappa / tapioca, peeled and cut into medium cubes
1 tbsp ginger, finely chopped
1 tbsp garlic, finely chopped
2 tsp chilli powder
3/4 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 1/4-1 1/2 tsp pepper powder
1 1/2 tsp garam masala
1/2 cup grated coconut
15-20 shallots, thinly sliced / 1 medium onion, chopped
3 green chillies, slit
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
2 dry red chillies
salt to taste
- Wash the beef pieces and marinate it with chopped ginger, garlic, 1 1/2 tsp chilli powder, 3/4 tsp coriander powder, 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, 1/2 tsp pepper powder, 1 sprig curry leaves and salt for at least 1 hour.
- In a pressure cooker, add the marinated beef pieces and pressure cook adding 1/4- 1/2 cup water till done. Keep it aside.
- Cook the tapioca pieces in enough water adding 1/2 tsp turmeric powder and salt. Drain the water.
- Add the grated coconut to the cooked tapioca and mash everything well. Keep it aside.
- Heat 1-2 tbsp oil in a pan, add sliced shallots and green chillies and saute for 2 minutes.
- Reduce the flame and add 1/2 tsp chilli powder, 3/4 tsp pepper powder, 1/4 tsp turmeric powder and 1 1/2 tsp garam masala and mix well.
- Add cooked beef with gravy and cook for 3-4 minutes until the gravy is thick.
- Then add cooked tapioca and few curry leaves and mix well. Check for salt.
- Heat 1-2 tsp oil in a small pan and splutter 1/2 tsp mustard seeds. Add dry red chillies, few curry leaves and 2-3 sliced shallots and saute until the shallots turn brown.
- Pour this over the prepared kappa beef biriyani. Mix well and serve hot….