My daughter, Safa turned eight last month. Rainbow layer cake was a special treat for my sweetheart. This cake has seven layers but six layers will be ideal..
3 cups all purpose flour/ plain flour
1 3/4 cup sugar
350 gm unsalted butter, softened
4 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tbsp vanilla essence
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup milk
food colours – red, orange, yellow, green, blue and red
Buttercream icing , for frosting
- Preheat oven to 180 degree celcius. Grease and flour two 8″ baking pans and keep it aside.
- Sift plain flour, baking powder and salt together in a bowl and keep it aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat softened butter, sugar and vanilla essence using a beater till creamy and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition till it is fluffy.
- Then alternatively add the flour mixture and milk and fold gently using a spatula till it is properly mixed up.
- Divide the batter in different bowls, depending on number of colours (Here I used 7 colours – purple, blue, green , pink, yellow, orange and red). Add few drops of each colour in each bowl and mix well.
- Transfer two coloured batters into two prepared baking pans and bake it for 12-15 minutes. ( Make sure to spread mixture evenly before cooking..)
- Remove cakes from oven and place onto a wire rack and cool for 5 minutes then turn over and let it completely cool..
- Bake all the remaining coloured batters like this in batches and cool completely before frosting..
- To assemble, place the purple layer as first layer on the cake plate / serving plate and spread buttercream icing over the first layer. Repeat the process with blue, green, yellow and orange layers.
- Place the remaining red layer on top and spread remaining frosting over top and side of cake..Decorate the cake with sugar sprinkles ..Cut it into slices and serve…