1 cup toor dal
1 big potato, peeled and cubed
1 big carrot, cubed
2 drumsticks, cut into pieces
1 big tomato, chopped
tamarind, lemon sized
1 cup grated coconut
3 tsp chilli powder
2 1/2 tsp coriander powder
7-8 shallots, sliced
1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds
1/4 tsp asafoetida/ kayam
2 tsp chana dal
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
2 dry red chillies
few curry leaves
salt to taste
- Heat oil in a pan and add grated coconut and roast it till light brown.
- Then add 3 shallots sliced, chilli powder, coriander powder, fenugreek seeds, asafoetida and chana dal and roast till dark brown color, stirring continuously on medium flame.
- Remove it from flame and let it cool completely. Then grind it to a smooth paste and keep it aside.
- Soak tamarind in 3 tbsp hot water and extract its pulp.
- Wash the toor dal and pressure cook it adding enough water till done. Then mash the cooked dal nicely with a wooden spoon or whisk.
- Add chopped vegetables, salt and 2 cups of water to the cooked dal and cook till the vegetables are 3/4 th done.
- Add the tamarind pulp to this and mix well.
- Mix ground coconut paste with 1/2-1/3 cup of hot water and add this to veggie-dal mix ,stir well and cook it for 5-7 minutes. Check for salt and add more tamarind pulp if required.
- Adjust the consistency by adding more hot water, if required. Switch off the flame.
- Heat oil in a small pan and splutter mustard seeds.
- Add 4 sliced shallots, dry red chillies and curry leaves and fry till shallots turns golden brown and add this to the sambar. Let it rest for 20 minutes and then serve with rice/ dosa / idli..
Recipe adapted from Maria’s Menu