Kozhikkal / Koyikkal is a delicious Malabar / Thalassery special tea time snack..It is a vegetarian snack and when fried it resembles like chicken legs, hence the name “Kozhikkal”..
1/2 kg tapioca/ kappa/ kolli kizhangu
3/4 -1 cup gram flour
1/4 cup rice flour
1 green chilly, chopped
1/2 tsp ginger paste/ finely chopped
1/2 tsp garlic paste/ finely chopped
1 sprig curry leaves, chopped
2 tsp chilli powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
a pinch of asafoetida
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
salt to taste
oil for frying
- Peel the skin of tapioca and slice them into thin strips (approximately 3 to 4 inch strips). Soak them in water for 10-15 minutes, drain and keep it aside.
- In a mixing bowl, add the gram flour, rice flour and salt and prepare a semi thick batter adding enough water.
- Then add chilli powder, turmeric powder, asafoetida, chopped green chilly, cumin seeds, curry leaves and salt and mix well.
- Add tapioca strips to this prepared batter and coat well with the batter.
- Heat oil in a pan on medium flame, Take a handful of tapioca strips together and slide it gently into the oil.
- Deep fry on medium heat till it turns golden brown and crispy. Remove it from the oil and drain them on a paper towel….Serve hot with tea 🙂