1 cup small mussels/ kallummakaya, cleaned
1 1/2 cup puttu podi / rice flour
1/4 cup + 1 tbsp grated coconut
2 onions, finely chopped
1 tsp garlic paste
1 tsp ginger paste
1-2 green chillies, finely chopped
1 tsp kashmiri chilli powder
3/4-1 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 tsp pepper powder
1 tsp fennel seeds
few curry leaves
1/2 tsp crushed red chillies
1-2 dry red chilly
1/2 tsp garam masala
salt to taste
- Clean the mussels and marinate it with 1/2 tsp chilli powder, 1/4 tsp pepper powder, 1/4 tsp turmeric powder and salt.
- Cook or shallow fry the marinated mussels slightly on both sides. Chop the larger mussels into small pieces and keep it aside.
- Mix the puttupodi with little salt and add water little by little to the puttupodi till it becomes wet/ moist and mix thoroughly without any lumps.
- Add 1/4 cup grated coconut and 1/2 tsp fennel seeds to this puttupodi and mix well. Keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and add 1/2 tsp fennel seeds, garlic paste and ginger paste and saute well.
- Add chopped onions, green chillies and chopped curry leaves and saute well adding little salt until onion turns transparent.
- Add 1/2 tsp turmeric powder and 1/2 tsp chilli powder and mix well for a minute.
- Then add crushed red chillies ,chopped dried red chillies and garam masala and mix well.
- Add cooked / fried mussels and mix well. Then add 1 tbsp grated coconut to this and stir well. Check salt and remove from flame.
- To prepare the puttu, take a chiratta puttu maker and layer it with 1 tbsp of mussels masala and top it with 3-4 tbsp of puttu podi. Then again add another layer of mussels masala and then with puttupodi.
- Fill pressure cooker/ puttu kudam with 2-3 cups of water and bring to a boil.
- Place the puttu maker on top of it and steam cook for 5-7 minutes or until the steam starts coming out from the top of puttu maker.
- Remove it to a plate and serve hot…
- Adjust the spice level to your taste 🙂