1 1/2 cup puttu podi
3/4 cup grated coconut
water as required
250 gm beef, cut into small pieces
1 onion, finely chopped
1 small tomato, chopped
1 tsp ginger paste
1 tsp garlic paste
1 tsp kashmiri chilli powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp pepper powder
3/4-1 tsp garam masala
chopped coriander leaves
salt to taste
- Cook the cleaned beef adding chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, ginger paste, garlic paste, 1/2 tsp garam masala and salt. Shred or mince the cooked beef and keep it aside.
- Mix the puttupodi with little salt and add water little by little to the puttupodi till it becomes wet/ moist and mix thoroughly without any lumps. Keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and saute the chopped onion adding little salt till transparent.
- Add chopped tomato and saute well till soft.
- Add pepper powder and garam masala and mix well.
- Add minced beef and mix well. Add little hot water to this, mix well and cook till the water dries.Check for salt and adjust the spice level.
- Add chopped coriander leaves and mix well. Remove it from the flame.
- To prepare puttu, take a puttu maker and layer it with 1 tbsp grated coconut first, then the puttupodi and then the beef masala as the third layer. Repeat the process, till the puttu maker is filled and the last layer with grated coconut. (Here I used chiratta puttu maker)
- Fill pressure cooker/ puttu kudam with 2-3 cups of water and bring to a boil.
- Place the puttu maker on top of it and steam cook for 5-7 minutes or until the steam starts coming out from the top of puttu maker.
- Remove it to a plate and serve hot…
ahhh…love it…I don't think anyone can resist it…the very look is so tempting