1 cup rice flour
1/2 cup gram flour / kadalapodi
1 tsp chilli powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp ajwain seeds
1- 1 1/2 tsp black sesame seeds
1/4 tsp asafoetida /kaayam
2 1/2 tbsp oil or softened butter
hot water as required
salt to taste
oil for frying
- In a mixing bowl, take the rice flour and gram flour and mix well.
- Add cumin seeds, ajwain seeds, sesame seeds, chilli powder, turmeric powder, asafoetida and salt and mix well.
- Heat 2 1/2 tbsp oil or butter and add this to the flour mixture and mix well with your hand.
- Boil water and add this little by little and mix it with a spatula/ spoon and knead to a smooth dough. Cover and keep it aside for 30 minutes.
- Take a murukku press/ mould , use the star shaped disc. Grease the murukku press with little oil and fill it with the dough.
- Squeeze it to form spiral shape on a parchment paper or directly to the hot oil. Here I made small/ baby chakli’s.
- Heat oil in a pan and gently drop the chakli/ murukku to the hot oil.
- Fry them on medium flame till they turn crisp and golden on both sides. Drain in paper towel and repeat the same for the remaining dough.
- Cool down to room temperature and then store in an air tight container….Enjoy as a tea time snack…