4 lady fish / whiting / nongal, cleaned
2 large onions, sliced
1 1/2 tsp ginger, finely chopped
1 1/2 tsp garlic, finely chopped
3-4 green chillies, chopped
1 large tomato, chopped
2 sprig curry leaves
1- 1 1/2 tsp kashmiri chilli powder ( adjust to your spice level)
1 tsp coriander powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/4-1/2 tsp crushed pepper
1 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds
salt to taste
- Heat oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds.
- Add chopped ginger, garlic , green chillies and curry leaves and saute for a minute.
- Add sliced onion and salt and mix well.
- Add turmeric powder, chilli powder and coriander powder and saute well till onion turns transparent.
- Then add chopped tomato , mix well and add 1/4-1/2 cup water and allow to boil.
- When the gravy thickens, add 4 whole cleaned lady fish and mix gently. Cover and cook till done and masala is well coated with the fish,
- Add crushed pepper and mix well. Remove from the flame and serve hot….