1 cup basmati rice
2 cups broccoli florets
2 tomatoes, chopped
1 onion, sliced
1 tsp ginger, chopped
1 tsp garlic, chopped
1 tsp chilli powder
a pinch of turmeric powder
1/2 tsp garam masala
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1 tbsp cashew nuts
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp chana dal
2 dry red chillies, broken
salt to taste
3 tbsp oil
- In a pan, boil water adding little salt. Add broccoli florets to this and boil for 2-3 minutes. Switch off and put the broccoli into the cold water taken in a bowl for 1 minute (blanching). Drain the water and keep it aside.
- Wash and soak the rice for 20 minutes. Add 2 cups of water in a pan and bring to a boil adding salt.
- Add drained rice to this, mix well and cook covered on medium flame till half done.
- Then add blanched broccoli florets and cook until all water is absorbed and rice is cooked.
- Heat oil in another large pan and add cumin seeds. Then add dry red chillies,chana dal and cashews.
- Add asafoetida to this and mix well. Then add chopped ginger and garlic and saute well till the raw smell disappears.
- Add sliced onion and salt and saute until transparent. Add in the chilli powder, turmeric powder and garam masala and saute for 1-2 minutes on low flame.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and cook until soft.
- Then add the cooked rice with broccoli on top of this masala and cook covered for 5-8 minutes on low flame.
- Mix well and remove from flame…Serve warm with raita…