1/2 kg / 3-4 crabs
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 green chillies, slit
1 tsp ginger, chopped
1 tsp garlic, chopped
1 tomato, chopped
1 large potato, peeled and chopped
1 1/2 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
3/4-1 tsp crushed pepper
3/4 cup coconut milk
1 piece cinnamon
1 bay leaf
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 sprig curry leaves
salt to taste
- Heat a manchatti or pan and add 2 tbsp oil. Add cardamon, cinnamon, cloves and bay leaf and saute.
- Add green chillies, chopped ginger and garlic and saute well.
- Add onion and shallots and saute well till light brown.
- Add chilli powder, coriander powder and turmeric powder and mix well till the raw smell disappears.
- Then add 1/2-3/4 cup water and mix well.
- Add chopped tomato and potato and mix well. Add enough water and allow it to boil.
- Add cleaned crabs and salt to this, stir well and cook covered for about 10-15 minutes on medium flame, stirring occasionally.
- When crabs are cooked, add coconut milk and heat for 3-4 minutes. Don’t allow to boil. Switch off the flame.
- Heat little oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds. Add curry leaves and crushed pepper and pour this over the curry and mix well. Serve hot….
The stew looks super delicious, loved the way its prepared in manchatti!
The color is wow!
Super delicious stew