1 bunch malabar spinach / basale
20-25 medium prawns, cleaned
1 onion, chopped
1 small tomato, chopped
1 cup grated coconut
small gooseberry sized tamarind
2 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 tsp cumin seeds
3-4 shallots, chopped
salt to taste
1 tbsp oil
- Separate the leaves and stems of basale/ malabar spinach and wash it properly. Roughly chop the leaves ( about 3 cup) and cut the tender stems ( about 1 cup) into 4 inch pieces.
- Grind together grated coconut, tamarind, chilli powder, coriander powder, cumin seeds and turmeric powder using little water into a thick smooth paste. Keep it aside.
- Cook the basale leaves and stems with chopped tomato and onion adding about 1 1/2 cup of water ( or pressure cook for 2 whistles).
- Add the ground paste, cleaned prawns and salt to this and cook on medium flame till prawns are cooked. Switch off the flame.
- Heat oil in a small pan and fry the chopped shallot till light brown. Pour this over the curry and keep it covered till ready to serve…. Serve with rice…