1 cup raw rice/ pachari
2 cups milk
1/2 cup curd /yoghurt
1 tbsp ginger, finely chopped
2-3 big green chillies, finely chopped
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1/4 cup coriander leaves, finely chopped
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 1/2 tsp urad dal
1 1/2 tsp chana dal / kadalaparippu
3-4 dry red chillies
few curry leaves, chopped
salt to taste
2 tbsp oil
little grated carrots and pomegranate seeds for garnishing
- Wash the rice and pressure cook it with 2 1/2-3 cups of water till soft.
- When the rice is cooked, add little salt and mash it nicely with the back of a ladle.
- Add milk to this and mix well with the rice.
- When it is completely cool, add yoghurt to this and mix well without any lumps. ( Don’t add yoghurt to hot rice).
- Heat oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds, urad dal and chana dal.
- Add dry red chillies, curry leaves, green chillies and ginger and saute till raw smell goes.
- Switch off the flame and add asafoetida and mix well.
- Pour it over the curd rice and mix well.
- Garnish with little grated carrots and pomegranate seeds and serve it with any pickle….
- Adjust the quantity of milk and yoghurt according to your consistency…