1/2 kg chicken, cut into pieces
2 cups onion, chopped
1 cup tomato, chopped
2 tsp ginger paste
2 tsp garlic paste
3 green chillies, chopped
few curry leaves
1 cup thin coconut milk
1/2 cup thick coconut milk
1 tbsp poppy seeds ( grind it to paste)
1 tbsp chilli powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 tsp pepper powder
1/2 tsp garam masala
1 tsp fennel powder
2 ” piece cinnamon
2 bay leaves
salt to taste
2 tbsp oil
- Heat oil in a pan on medium flame and add cinnamon, cloves,cardamoms and bay leaves and roast well.
- Add ginger paste, garlic paste, chopped green chillies , onion and salt and saute well till onion turns transparent.
- Then add turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander powder, garam masala, pepepr powder and fennel powder and mix well.
- Add cleaned chicken pieces to this and saute well for 2-3 minutes in this masala.
- Pour thin coconut milk and mix well. Add few curry leaves and adjust salt, mix well and cook covered for 5 minutes.
- Then add tomato and poppy seed paste, mix well and cook it covered on medium flame for 5-8 minutes.
- Add thick coconut milk and mix well and heat the curry for 2-3 minutes. Don’t allow to boil.
- Add few curry leaves and switch off the flame…Serve with pathiri, ghee rice etc…
Recipe adapted from here
Hello Shabbs…come weekend staple at home usually with appams
Love the color of the delicious looking curry…
Appam and that curry would taste so wonderful…aahhh…kothipichille