1/2 kg tapioca/ kappa / kolli kizhangu
4-5 dry red chillies
5 garlic cloves
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
2 sprigs curry leaves, chopped
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
2 tbsp oil
salt to taste
- Peel and cut the tapioca into cubes and wash it thoroughly.
- In a large pan ,cook the tapioca adding about 6-7 cups of boiling water, salt and 1/4 tsp turmeric powder , until the pieces are soft ( for about 10-15 minutes, but not mashed up). Then drain the water and keep it aside.
- Crush the garlic and dry red chillies together to a coarse mixture in a pestle and mortar and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds.
- Add the crushed mixture and 1/4 tsp of turmeric powder and saute for a minute on medium flame until the raw smell disappears.
- Add the cooked tapioca, chopped curry leaves and salt to this and mix well until the masala coat well with the tapioca.
- Remove from the flame and serve with fish curry or as a snack with tea….
Recipe adapted from Edible Garden..