1/2 kg squid / koonthal
1 onion, sliced
1 tomato, chopped
2 green chillies, slit
1 cup grated coconut
2 1/2 tsp coriander powder
2 tsp chilli powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1 tbsp coconut slices / thenga kothu
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 sprig curry leaves
salt to taste
- Clean and chop the squid into small pieces.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan and roast the grated coconut till light brown.
- Add chilli powder and coriander powder to this and roast for a minute and remove from flame.
- Then grind it to a smooth paste adding little water and keep it aside.
- In a pan/ clay pot (manchatti), add the chopped squid, turmeric powder, onion, tomato, green chillies and salt and cook it with 1 cup of water.
- When cooked, add the ground coconut paste and cook for 5-6 minutes on medium flame. Switch off the flame.
- Heat 1 1/2 tbsp oil in a small pan and splutter mustard seeds. Add coconut slices and fry till light brown and add curry leaves.
- Then pour this over the curry and mix well. Serve with rice, pathiri etc….