2 cups gram flour / kadalamavu / besan
1/4 tsp cumin seeds (optional)
a pinch of turmeric powder
1/2 cup water
a pinch of salt
For Sugar Syrup:
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
1/2 tsp cardamom powder
2 tbsp sugar, powdered for dusting
- In a bowl, add the gram flour, turmeric powder, cumin seeds and salt and mix well.
- Add water little by little to this and knead to form a smooth dough and keep the dough covered.
- Heat oil in a deep pan on medium flame. Fill the idiyappam / string hopper maker, fitted with big hole attachment with the dough.
- When the oil is hot, press the dough into the hot oil in a circular motion. Don’t overcrowd the pan.
- Fry it till golden brown on both sides and remove them from the oil and drain on a paper towel.
- Repeat the same process until all the dough is used.
- Then crush/ break the sev gently into pieces with your hand and keep it aside.
- In another pan, melt sugar in 1/4 cup of water and boil it till it reaches a one thread consistency.
- Reduce the heat and add the fried sev and cardamom powder and mix thoroughly until the sev is evenly coated with the syrup. Switch off the flame.
- When slightly cooled, add the powdered sugar and toss well.
- Cool completely and store in an air tight container…..