1/2 kg prawns / chemmeen
1 1/2 tbsp ginger , thinly sliced
1 1/2 tbsp garlic, thinly sliced
1 sprig curry leaves
1 tbsp kashmiri chilli powder (or according to taste)
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds
1/4 cup vinegar
1/4 cup boiled and cooled water (or as required)
salt to taste
gingelly oil as required
To grind coarsely:
2″ piece ginger
7 large garlic cloves
4-6 green chillies
1 tsp chilli powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
salt to taste
- Clean and wash the prawns and marinate it with 1 tsp red chilli powder, 1/4 tsp turmeric powder and salt and keep it aside for 20 minutes.
- Coarsely grind 2 ” piece ginger, 7 large garlic cloves and 4-6 green chillies together and keep it aside.
- In a bowl, mix together kashmiri chilli powder, turmeric powder and vinegar to form a smooth paste.
- Heat 3-4 tbsp gingelly oil in a pan and shallow fry the marinated prawns and keep it aside.
- In the same pan, add more oil (if required) and splutter mustard seeds. Add fenugreek seeds and saute for few seconds.
- Add sliced ginger, garlic and curry leaves and saute until the raw smell disappears.
- Then add the ground paste ( step 2) and saute until the raw smell disappears completely and cook over medium low flame for few minutes until oil starts to separate.
- Add the masala paste ( step 3) and salt to this and cook over medium low flame until oil starts to separate.
- Then add the fried prawns and mix well. Add boiled and cooled water as required and bring this to a boil and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Switch off the flame and allow it to cool completely and then store in an air tight glass container/ bottle…
Recipe adapted from here….