2 eggs, separated
250 gm mascarpone cheese
1 cup heavy cream/ double cream
15-18 sponge fingers/ lady’s fingers/ savioardi
6 tbsp sugar
1 cup strong coffee
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 tbsp cocoa powder ( or grated chocolate)
- Boil 1 cup of water in a pan and prepare coffee by adding 1 tbsp of coffee and 1 tbsp sugar. Keep it aside.
- Separate egg whites and yolks.
- In a glass bowl, take egg yolks and add in 5 tbsp of sugar and beat well with the egg beater until you get creamy and pale yellow mixture ( Zabaglione / Zabaione).
- Place another vessel/ pan on the stove and add hot but not boiling water and set it on low-medium flame. Place the glass bowl with egg yolk-sugar mixture (zabaglione) over the simmering water and whisk well until the mixture gets thick ( for about 10 minutes).
- Add vanilla essence to this and keep it aside to cool.
- Whip the cream until peaks form and keep it aside. Mix the mascarpone cheese in this whipped cream and mix well until no lumps appear.
- Add the cooled zabaglione to this and mix well.
- Whip the egg whites until peaks form and fold into the cheese and cream mixture to keep it light and airy. Don’t over mix it..
- Take a large glass dish, just dip the sponge fingers in the coffee and layer them side by side until you cover the bottom of the dish with the sponge fingers dipped in coffee. ( Don’t keep the sponge fingers in coffee for long time, just dab both sides in coffee) .
- Pour half of the cheese cream mixture over this sponge fingers and again layer another layer of sponge fingers dipped in coffee.
- Then top it with the rest of the cream mixture and smooth the top. Cover and refrigerate for at least 3-4 hours.
- Just before serving, dust the top with cocoa powder by passing it through a sieve or top with grated chocolates…