1/2 kg prawns, cleaned
2 tbsp green peppercorns / pacha kurumulaku
1 piece ginger
6 garlic cloves
1 cup shallots
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
2 tsp coriander powder
small piece tamarind (soaked in 2 tbsp water)
1 tsp fennel powder / crushed fennel seeds
a pinch of fenugreek seeds
1 sprig curry leaves
salt to taste
2 tbsp oil
- Crush the ginger, garlic, green peppercorns and 5 shallots together and keep it aside.
- Clean the prawns and marinate it with the crushed mixture, turmeric powder and salt and keep it aside for 20 minutes.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan and add fenugreek seeds and curry leaves and saute for a couple of seconds.
- Add sliced shallots and saute well till it turns golden brown in colour.
- Add coriander powder and fennel powder and saute well till the raw smell disappears.
- Add marinated prawns to this and mix well. Then add 1/4 cup of water and cook it covered till done and the masala is well coated with the prawns.
- Then add tamarind water and mix well and cook for 2-3 minutes on medium flame.
- Switch off the flame and transfer to a serving plate …Serve hot…