2 cups ragi flour
1/2 cup roasted gram / split chana dal/ pottukadala
2 tbsp butter
1 tsp white sesame seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1/4 tsp asafoetida
salt to taste
oil for frying
- In a pan, dry roast the roasted gram slightly till it turns light brown and allow to cool completely and then grind it to a fine powder.
- In a bowl, take the ragi flour, rice flour, 1/2 cup roasted gram flour, cumin seeds, white sesame seeds, chilli powder, salt, asafoetida and butter and mix well.
- Add required water little by little to this and knead to a soft dough.
- Take a murukku press / mould , use the star shaped disc and fill it with the dough.
- Heat oil in a deep pan and when the oil gets heated up, press the murukku directly into the hot oil. Do not overcrowd.
- Fry them on medium flame till they are cooked and turn crispy on both sides. Drain on paper towel and repeat the same for the remaining dough.
- Cool down to room temperature and then store in an air tight container….Enjoy as a tea time snack…