1 1/2 cup cherupayar parippu / moong dal
1/2-3/4 tsp turmeric powder
1 1/2 cup grated coconut
3/4 tsp cumin seeds
2 green chillies
4 big garlic cloves
few curry leaves
salt to taste
1 1/2 tbsp coconut oil
- In a pan , roast the moong dal over medium heat for 5-6 minutes, stirring continuously. Switch off the flame and leave it to cool.
- Then wash and pressure cook it adding about 4 1/2 cups of water, turmeric powder and salt for 1 whistle.
- Then reduce the flame and cook for 1 more whistle and switch off the flame.
- Meanwhile, grind together grated coconut , cumin seeds, green chillies and garlic cloves to a smooth paste adding little water.
- Once the pressure releases, open the cooker and mash the dal well with ladle.
- Add ground coconut paste and 1 cup of water and stir continuously at medium flame till the raw taste goes.
- Check for salt and add if required. Mix and heat well. Do not boil the curry.
- Add curry leaves and switch off the flame. Add coconut oil and mix well. Serve hot with boiled rice, ghee and pappadum…