1 cup / 250 gm mussels/ kallummakkaya, cleaned
10 shallots, chopped
1 tomato, chopped
1 tsp ginger paste
1 tsp garlic paste
gooseberry sized tamarind / 1 cup tamarind juice
3 tsp chilli powder
3/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds
1 sprig curry leaves
salt to taste
2 tbsp coconut oil
- Soak tamarind in 1 cup of water, extract its juice and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds.
- Add curry leaves and chopped shallots and saute well till transparent.
- Add ginger and garlic paste to this and saute well till raw smell disappears.
- Add chilli powder and turmeric powder and mix well for a minute.
- Add chopped tomato and saute well till soft.
- Then add cleaned mussels and mix well. Add salt and tamarind water and mix well.
- Add more water if required and bring it to a boil and then cook covered on low-medium flame until the mussels are cooked and the gravy is thick.
- Remove from the flame and serve hot…